private pilot training

out of country Pilots

Welcome to Fort Langley Air! It is possible to train at Fort Langley Air if you have a current pilot’s licence from outside Canada. You can apply for a Foreign License Validatino Certificate (FLVC) before coming to Canada and it will take 2-5 business days. See our guide to Obtaining your Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) from Transport Canada.  We’re here to help at  Be sure to reach out and Contact Us if you have more!

What kind of license(s) do I have to have to get a float rating? 

You have to have at least a Private Pilot’s License (PPL). Here are the rules on staying current.

Can I just do some seaplane training without doing a full rating?

Yes. If you don’t have a Canadian license but have a license from another country, you’ll need the Foreign License Validation Certificate (FLVC). It gives you the same flight privileges in Canada as you have in your home country. You just can’t get any new licenses or ratings. READ OUR FLVC BLOG.

 Here is the Transport Canada list of what you’ll need.


Can I rent your Floatplane?

You can, but only if you’re a current student in our 50-Hour Bush Pilot Program or can fulfill specific requirements. We recommend contacting our partners, PIC Aircraft Rentals. Please call us to discuss.

Can I come to Canada and fly a float plane?

YES!! You need to hold a PPL and valid medical from your home country, but only if you plan to fly dual.

What will I need to come and fly?

If you plan to do dual training, only your licence and medical. If you want to fly solo, you’ll need to have a float rating, your licence and a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC), which you get from Transport Canada.

Can I get an actual Seaplane rating?

Yes, only if you convert your licence to a Canadian one through Transport Canada first. However, your home country MAY recognize your dual training in Canada. Talk to the regulatory office in your home country first.

What if I want an actual Canadian Seaplane Rating?

You will need to hold a Canadian PPL.

Can I fly the plane solo with a licence from my home country?

NO! You can train dual – but you cannot solo or get an actual rating without a Canadian PPL.

Can I fly the plane solo with an FAA licence and float rating?

NO! You’ll need a FLVC, OR transfer your licence to a Canadian one. Both are easy to get if you have an FAA licence.

Can I get a Seaplane Rating if I have an FAA licence?

NO! You cannot solo or get the rating without a Canadian PPL. But it is an easy process to convert your licence, since there is an agreement between Transport Canada and the FAA. Just a written exam, some paperwork and, of course, a fee.

For more information on how to apply, go to:

Contact the Transport Canada office for the Pacific Region:

3600 Lysander Lane
Richmond, BC V7B 1C3

+1 (604) 666-5571



Career Bush Pilot program!

 Invest in a 50 Hour Career Bush Pilot course. Start by contacting us for a consultation. Our floatplane course participants are employed as commercial pilots all over the world. 


Fly the Fort


We are the pilot’s choice for best floatplane training school in North America. Complete your seaplane rating, build float plane hours, take your career bush pilot course or enjoy dual yoke flight-seeing


You need a seaplane!  Save time at work or play with a floatplane trip to your remote destination on the BC Coast. For more than 20 years, we have been transporting singles, groups, crews and freight. To charter a plane, call us for a competitive custom quote.


See the wild BC Coast from the eagle’s view. Come and explore favourite spots old and new from a different perspective: Vancouver, Sea to Sky, Lower Mainland, Garibaldi, Harrison Lake, Golden Ears and more.  Call us to book one of our specially designed tours or to create a custom tour.